Friday, December 23, 2011

and Festivus!

Anyone up for the Feats of Strength? I prefer the Airing of Grievances!

If you don't follow silly pop culture holidays, just ignore this post. But for some levity, I thought I'd mention the started-with-Seinfeld holiday that has a life of it's own. Like Frank Costanza, I hate how commercial Christmas has become, and Festivus, celebrates that. I especially like the idea of no tree: just having a pole, no decorations. This year I don't have a tree, too much hassle, and I am loving the simplicity of the white oak branch on my mantle (not quite a pole, but closer!)

There are many holidays and traditions, but anyone can enjoy this one: a Festivus for the rest of us!

Major thinks any holiday is silly, but he still had this conversation:

Frank Costanza: “And at the Festivus dinner, you gather your family around, and tell them all the ways they have disappointed you over the past year!”

Major: “The tradition of Festivus begins with the Airing of Grievances. I got a lot of problems with you people! And now, you’re gonna hear about it. You, Mom. You do not ever give me enough treats. Apples especially! Carrots are fine, but come on, throw me an apple to two, or three. And all the riding? Really? I need my weekends for napping in the sun, not this adventuring crap! And soon everyone will know, so I just have to tell them: You did some pretty sneaky and annoying stuff earlier with ornaments and tinsel, what was that all about?"


Everyone will have to wait a few days to find out...

Meanwhile, Major and I have fit in a few quick rides, he ate some plastic evergreen garland (just a taste), and the holiday craziness is upon everyone. Happy Festivus!

No comments:

Post a Comment