Tuesday, February 22, 2022

welcomes Miles

Since Q was a temporary lease I kept my eye out, casually looking for the right fit. Too old, too young, too far away, too much money! 

I tried a few. A chestnut was nice but moved a little funky to me. A gorgeous gray was too young. A paint-Arab cross was too much to handle with some baggage. What was I drawn to? Of course bay Arabs with fun personalities. 

photos from his ad
Then I saw a local trainer’s ad: “extremely fun and playful horse” “completely confident going down the trail by himself” “going down the trail and doing some horse camping “would love to be a trail or Endurance horse” “has also camped at Point Reyes by himself.”

Downside: “still young and can get excited in large groups on the trail.”

Figured he was worth a look. Went out one afternoon and took him for a spin in the arena. Well, the trainer rode first. He didn’t do anything bad (he’d had three days off), was just a little uptight in there. His background was a show barn, with that silly show barn Arab energy. When I rode him he didn't do anything stupid, didn't feel explosive or silly, just a little uncertain. But he was so cute!

So I decided I wanted to ride him on trail. I was nervous, as I always am with a new horse. But I met them at the staging area (where I ride all the time, which was great) and headed out hiking. No problems, so got on and proceeded to have a completely uneventful ride, the best kind! Over and under, big trails, small trails, leading, following, trotting, walking, what a good boy! A couple moments of wheee, let’s go, but shut him down and he was fine to continue.

As we rode back my brain was spinning. Hmmm. Good horses sell quickly. He’s a good one. Friendly, steady on trail, even my favorite color. I’d be sad to miss out.

So they settled that. I told the trainer right then that I’d take him. Too impulsive? Maybe. But just look at this face. 

meet Miles (registered name: Bacchus DWA)
Meet Miles. An almost 6-year old bay Arabian, 15 hands. Good trail experience, even camping. Baby brain in groups needs work, but we can get there. We have lots of trails to explore. 

a walk to the staging area in crazy winds, no spooking!

settling in to pasture

 

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm looking forward to following his adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Congratulations and well wishes for many miles on beautiful miles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you! He looks adorable. I'm a sucker for a cute bay Arab too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooooo CUTE! Also looking forward to reading about you and Miles' adventures. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know why you got that horse. Cuz Picard was there riding around on one of them in Ventura Farms, saying to Troi, "It's quite relaxing."

    You don't kid me: )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations he looks and seems fabulous !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/bacchus+dwa
    I see he has all the big names.... Bask, Morafic, Bay Shah, Muscat and more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you everyone! I'm finally looking forward to some future adventures. Miles on Miles…

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am looking forward to reading all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMGosh! The minute I saw his photo I knew! It's a perfect match! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete