Thursday, June 6, 2019

slow torture

Slow as a sloth? Or slow as pulling ribbons at a trail trial?

My friend C is a volunteer for a local trail organization. They do good work, but when I went to one meeting, I quickly realized they were not for me (arduously long discussions of such minutia I couldn't stand it.) However, I am glad they exist and that people are not as impatient as I am.

The last few years they have put on a trail trial and it's super close to home, so when C asked if I wanted to help pull ribbons I said sure. She did warn me it might be slow. I figured it is good for Major to walk slowly and behave himself.

We arrived at the location, which is a main parking lot for Folsom Lake. And it was just getting hot, so people were out in droves. With weird blow-up floaties like giant watermelons, flamingos and C even saw an alligator! We'd never been there, but Major wasn't the least concerned (I did keep an eye out for errant rafts!).

Major is obviously very concerned in this new place…

We headed out on trail at 10:30am. It was getting hot, and was very happy I'd put my complete shade visor on my helmet. We walked along nicely for about 15 minutes, pulling ribbons. Two other folks came with us, more the merrier! We got to the first obstacle in the trail trial (some sort of backing around a bush, standing there, I'm not sure), and riders were still working it. So we waiting…about half an hour. And this continued for the whole of the torture session ride.

those annoyed ears say it all…

In 4 hours we went 6 miles. Two days before we'd gone 20 miles in the same time, so I didn't truly blame Major for getting more and more jiggy at each stop. I just got off and held the reins and let him walk circles around me. There is a level of behavior I expect, but standing still for 6 hours is not what I expect from Major, walking around me was fine!

Another torture: through no fault of anyone except Mother Nature, the lake is exceptionally high and many trails are under water. So they had to reroute the trail trial along the unused-by-cars park road. So at least three miles were spent walking on asphalt, though mostly shaded with oak trees. Not our usual lovely trail experience!

that sign says "Closed Area, No motor vehicles!"
There was a cold drink and a peanut butter sandwich (and alfalfa for Major) waiting back at the trailer. They had a lot of participants and people looked to have fun. In the end, as my friend C and I always confirm, no one died and we had an adventure. But maybe next time I'll volunteer for something else!


  1. You've checked that into his brain library as a possible future adventure, so he'll be ready next time! MMM peanut butter. What no German eats. And Alfalfa, what no German horse eats. Seriously.

    1. Oh no, I won't be doing that again, it was torture for us both! I would have to import cases of peanut butter…I eat it at least 3 times a week! And Major would just revolt with no alfalfa…

  2. Like supervising me and Persee? Actually he walks quite fast...he will be “home” in July. Treatment for EPM ends mid June and his shaking has all but disappeared.

    1. Nah, you won't be THAT bad! I'm so glad Persee is improving, of course just when it is getting HOT!

  3. Hey... Disclaimer. :-)