Thursday, April 17, 2014

broken

All the training and conditioning doesn't matter if your horse is lame. I've already thrown myself a pity party for breaking my horse, and am moving on into dealing with it. Not well, but trying.

Last Friday I went to visit Major, planning in a Saturday ride. And he was stocked up in his rear legs, and resting his right hind. I had helpful SO trot him out: slight hitch on a straight line, serious hitch in the round pen to the right, and not wanting to canter. Damn. Right then I cancelled my endurance ride plans for the end if this month.

But I waited to call the vet, as Major was walking around fine, using the leg, there was no swelling, no painful areas, mystery. My brain filled in horrible career ending scenarios, so I finally did call the vet and had an appointment today.

It's not very good when the tech trots your horse out and the vet tells her, "Ok, yeah stop, he's really lame" but it is nice when he turns to me and says "sorry" for being blunt. I really like my vet.

Flexions were inconclusive, it was looking like some blocks were in order. But then the vet hoof tested and got a positive reaction on the outside heel. Maybe just a severe bruise? The vet didn't want to do blocks and trot him around if it was a bruise, so suggested the wait and see approach.

I'm soaking and Major is resting, but stalling is out of the question as he will just pace. In his pasture he'll stay quiet (at the vet hospital Major hated being under the shelter, in the shade on nice mats, he was happier out on the sunny, hot gravel driveway. Horses.)

You know how you see things in hindsight much more clearly? Yeah. I broke my horse. Did it happen on the rocky Olmstead loop last long ride? He didn't want to canter up one final hill, but I attributed it to being tired and hot. I rode him on hills the day before I found him lame, was his reluctance to go out (which I attributed to not wanting the leave the barn at dinner time) actually because he hurt? My stoic horse was trotting around not complaining or limping until it got really bad. Arrggh! I totally feel like I broke him more, but it's just wait and see.

Waiting. Something neither Major or I is good at. I'll be getting some practice...

10 comments:

  1. Oh so sorry :(. Saw the title of this blog in my feedly feed and ran over here to see what was going on.

    FWIW, just like your comment about horses being horses and not wanting to stand under the shade....sometimes that's what it's like with lameness too. We do the best we can, and sometimes in hindsight we were wrong or could have done something differently - but sometimes we give ourselves too much "credit" for their failures (or successes).

    You definiately aren't a person to "break" horses without care. You and Major have a special relationship and I absolutely believe that if you even had an inkling that there was something really wrong, even if it was minor, than you would have immediately stopped.

    (I know that intellectually knowing this doesn't reduce the immediate pity party - having ridden my horse to a tie up a couple years ago because I thought she was being relunctant and gave her every chance to tell me there was something wrong and she didn't....... - but I tried :)

    Thank you for sharing and keep us updated - I'll be crossing my fingers that this is a shortlived and minor bump in the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, very wise words. Intellectually I know I did my best, but with horses your heart wins out.

      Delete
    2. Very well put. And so true. The heart does win out when it comes to our horses.

      Delete
  2. Sending positive vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with all that Mel said. Makes me angry when you say "you broke your horse"! That's stinkin' thinkin' - stop it! (Read what Mel said again if you have to.) But I wish you'd let me know - I would've brought pitycake to your party. Friday and I are wishing Major a speedy resolution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pitycake sounds delicious. If I'd known what was going on i'd have let you know! Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'm so sorry, my friend! Fingers crossed it's a nasty abscess that's about to blow and make him a lot happier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel is right on with her comment, but I know that isn't entirely comforting. I am still beating myself up for "riding Desire too hard" in 2012 which is pretty absurd and when you break down all the parts isn't valid, but my heart leaps there quickly in emotional moments.

    This week my rescue guy Rambo was declared too gimpy/lame to do anyhting but pasture pal it for a while, or maybe forever. It isn't ideal that a clever 6 yr old horse be a psture pet, but then again it's a thousand times better than a myriad other fates, and the tincture of time may help him yet. Disappointed? Sure. Kicking myself a little? Definitely. Wondering? Constantly. But in love with these animals and prepared to wait it out and do my best by any one of them I come across, even if it's only feeding them carrots and watching them heal? Absolutely.

    Go forth and heal Major, we are thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I know you've always done right by your horses too. Sorry about Rambo, such a cute guy, maybe time will help. But you're right: it's love, it doesn't have to be reasonable!

      Delete