Saturday, October 8, 2016

brisk

A few days before our mess of an arena practice, I came home after being gone almost a week. First thing I did when I got back was go see Major. He was happy to see me, though he probably would have been just as happy to have had the apple and carrot provided daily by friend S instead!

But I wanted to get out, even if it was threatening rain! Turns out he did too. Major briskly set the pace, and we headed for the lake. The wind was rising, and I thought better of taking the exposed, sandy lake trail. Instead we opted for the more often tree-covered upper Pioneer trail.

gathering storm

changing redbud leaves

Not a single person on the trail. A silent lake. The only sound was the wind in the trees. A few drops fell on the dusty trail (and dusty horse) but we avoided the larger storm. Redbud trees the first to show their fall colors.

over-shoulder dusty rain-dappled horse
Kings of all we survey.

I am monarch of all I survey, my right there is none to dispute." -William Cowper

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. The crispy grass makes me worry about fires though. Major has the best ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always worry about fires. Crispy grass May-November. The first rains are very welcome!

      Delete
  2. "I'm Yertle the Turtle, oh marvelous me! For I am the ruler of all that I see! :-)
    -Seuss

    ReplyDelete