Tuesday, May 28, 2013

take it easy


nice hair Major

Nothing with horses is easy. Fun, frustrating, scary, exciting. But not easy.

Major's leg has been healing fine, just a little edema, sigh of relief. Then I got a call last week that he cast himself in his pasture, his pretty good size grassy pasture he has lived in for years. He chose to get stuck in the ONE place he could get stuck. They got him up no problem. I am glad he is an easy-going guy who didn't fight humans trying to help. I was ready to jump in my car and drive over, but the barn owner walked him around, told me Major was drinking and pooping, said he was doing well. For all our small disagreements in the horse world I have had with the BO over the years, I really appreciate her level of horse care in this situation. When I checked him later in the day, he was a tiny bit stiff, but the next day absolutely fine. Then I (and helpful SO) spent a hot couple of hours reinforcing the area so he can't do it again (yeah, right, we can hope, break out the bubble wrap!) while said obnoxious horse trotted, head-flinging around the arena, mad that we wouldn't let him in his pasture to "help" with power tools laying about.

I did manage to fit in some rides. Remember those beautiful grassy scenes from months ago? And people were so envious. No more. All dry. Green is gone until at least October. Feast your eyes on the lovely brown hillsides, ripe for fire danger, rattlesnakes and thistles.

trails of little weedy foxtails to get stuck in everything

the only green to see are the oaks and scrub bushes

At least the lake is blue. In our nice overlook spot, where if you look over the rock, idiots have pushed a burned-out car and broken glass is all over. We just take in the scenery and try to ignore it.

perspective: small ears, lake

perspective: more horse, lake, graffiti

Another ride on almost empty trails (really, where was everyone this weekend?) was fun as we stood in the lake, getting boots wet, working on testing fit (A+ for Major, C for his friend Friday, need to do some adjusting.) Major and I had some discussions on speed, where the word "easy" is supposed to mean slow down. Not ignore your rider.

see, left is home, go that way, There is nothing to eat here.

again, are you dense? LEFT is home!

After this ride Major's leg had no edema, no heat, totally sound. And two big lumps (scar tissue?) on his right hind (the one he injured second, not the big gash, the smaller cuts, arrghh!). They don't seem to bother him at all, but this week I'll have the vet come out, because it is weird.

Major has a pretty good life, hanging out in pasture munching on grass, having me at his beck and call. A few challenging rides here and there. Scaring me with calls from the barn owner. Frustrating me with injuries and bad behavior. And I wouldn't change it, I love my horse. But it's not easy.

this illegal grazing area is delicious, a rare bay appaloosa arab actually not melting in the sprinkler

perspective: one day at a time

4 comments:

  1. I love the lake. Don't you hate how stupid people can be? I mean graffiti on the rocks? A burned out car? It makes me angry.

    Sorry to see the ride was mostly brown. It dries out so fast once the rain stops. Do you see a lot of snakes? I have just moved to an area with snakes and feel like I am suddenly out of my element. I really don't feel like I have a great grasp on how dangerous it is or what I need to watch out for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stupid things people do out there is infuriating. Just enjoy nature! And take your trash to the dump!

      We'll have no more rain until at least October. The brown is pretty standard, but we all miss the green! We spend lots of time going down to the lake to cool off, get a refreshing view of something other than brown.

      We do see quite a few snakes. Here it is rattlesnakes. On evening rides they are often on the trail. I just ride with my eyes open and try to watch the trail in front of me, not the time for speed. The snakes almost always feel us coming and move out of the way. We see the "snake paths" that they make as they slither across the dirt. They have never been aggressive, I'm pretty sure they can tell from the horse's sound that they are too big for prey.

      That being said, I have been going too fast and "run over" a couple of them. Now THAT is scary. Luckily I think the snake is disoriented by being thrashed by hooves. But I try not to do that!

      Delete
  2. Not melting in the sprinkler, hahaha. Good boy, Major.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will do almost anything to avoid the sprinkler. And then go wade into the lake. And snorkel up to his eyes.

      Delete