Tuesday, September 20, 2011

sunday moment

I planned a fun ride with a friend (and Major's buddy Friday). Alas, as horses do, Friday managed to hurt himself and was headed to the vet. So just Major and I headed to Avery.

We'd just done this trail, and this time Major was listening much better. We got to Rattlesnake and found some grass snack. We continued on, good cantering on the dirt roads. Partway to Avery I was done. Not tired, and Major was fine, but I had wanted to be out with a friend, and my heart just wasn't in it.

Heading home I met two friends, and we talked a moment. She relayed to me that a mutual friend had gotten some very bad family medical news. I was shocked and saddened, and walked home, my usual thoughts about trail miles, GPS and average mph forgotten.

Back at the ranch Major got an actual bath then all dirty again rolling in the arena. And I called to check on his buddy Friday, who had spent the morning at the vet, where it looks like his injury luckily missed the joint.

Of course very different, but both sad and scary experiences, a reminder how everything can change so quickly. It might be a cliché, but most clichés stem from truth: keep your family, friends, pets close in your heart. And to make sure they know. Because in a moment...



No comments:

Post a Comment