Thursday, September 15, 2011

basic math

Take one in-shape horse. Add two weeks off just being hand-walked and eating grass. Factor in a 98 degree day. Add horse's friend. Equals: quite a wild ride!

Heading out Major was completely sour. He would just stop, I'd ask him to move, he'd try to remind me that we had been eating at this area of grass for two weeks now. I reminded him that now he has a job to do. He was not happy. At the trailhead he was practically asleep, and as his friend Friday walked into the forest, Major would have been perfectly happy turning around for home.

Out on the trail we walked along, both horses a little lazy. Then we came to a little uphill, I asked Major to move along, trot out a bit. I got a canter and a bucking kick towards Friday, while I heard Friday trying naughty things too. After that, there was no stopping the attitude. Both horses were pretty wired, and we let them move out where we could (which is not enough places, rutted trails and all). This time there was no switch when we were heading home, everywhere was excitement. One trail goes to the right, I diverged when Major wouldn't listen, and took him up to the left on a steep off-road vehicle track. Both horses emerged on top, snorting and blowing idiots.

At one point we were heading down a slight incline, trotting, when Major took off cantering. I was trying to slow him before the sharp turn and downhill. I got him stopped, turned around to see my friend finishing battling her horse who was trying to get his head down and buck! After a breath, she commented "We're good riders." Right then, I wasn't sure. I noted that I was pulling on Major's face, fighting to making him listen, etc. She reminded me the horses were now under control, we weren't giving in to what the horses want (running home madly), and we were still on top. I'll concede that point!

The rest of the ride was pretty good, heading home they were mostly listening, and when we turned them away from home to do one last good uphill, both were quite well behaved! Major had been so good all summer, but all the time off was certainly too much, even though necessary. Even with 24/7 turnout, he needs to move.

At the end of the ride it was still 88 degrees. I know this even after dropping my phone while stopping my GPS, from on top of the horse. Whoops. iPhones don't bounce, but I think the dust cushioned it, Major didn't step on it, and another ride was complete. We'll see what the next time brings.

1 comment:

  1. LOL. Some rides, it's a victory just to deliberately dismount at the end. Well done - except the iPhone! Eeeek!

    ReplyDelete