Monday, September 12, 2011

riding in L.A.

What is it with horse people? Or is it just me? We just love to ride, and when an opportunity to ride came up when I was visiting Los Angeles, of course I took it!

oh no, no helmet!
Riding somewhere else is always so different. This guy was pretty sluggish, and I think only a treeless saddle would have fit his broad withers. He does need to lose some weight, I'd suggest a slow-feeding net. He did have good reach and extension, and was fairly gentle, but obviously had not been ridden in a really, really, really long time. I could ride bridleless, since he was slow, and we weren't really going anywhere too quickly. No shoes or boots, obviously some tough feet. As you can see though, he was pretty sour and was about to start rearing, so I climbed off and went inside.


Now this guy could use a few pounds, but his small stature is just about right for me. I think the addition of some beet pulp and a good worming would really help. Has never worn shoes, but does need to be taught about safely crossing water, as he had an accident in which he became mired, and it took them a really, really, really long time to get him out. He may have some fears you'll need to work through. Natural horsemanship should work wonders.

(If you can't ride your horse and have to travel 600 miles to a family event, at least have some fun. Last time I was at the La Brea Tar Pit museum was when I was about 10, and it was so cool. It is still cool.)

1 comment: