Friday, April 7, 2017

waylaid

Between rainstorms and mud, I fit in a couple good training rides that had set us up well for the first endurance event of the season. Then on our last training ride Major felt...not right. He wasn't forward, was that an off step I felt? I came home discouraged.

scary plastic on trail

at the river, too high to play in

bad trail erosion
For me, three weeks before the event is my go/no go event line. If I don't have a good ride then, I'm not going to push it. So I was sending in my cancellation when they actually cancelled the ride itself! I'm still hoping to get my entry fee back (that is a whole issue in itself) and thinking about the upcoming season.

the little bit of the lake trail not covered in debris

that way home!

I love the trail, and seeing Major improve his fitness. Competition scares the crap outta me every time. Am I going to break my horse, is he going to kill me? Is this fun?

I think it is. But I'm still pondering about it. Most years I go through this same debate. I had wanted to do this ride becasue it was different. A couple other different rides are on my list, I don't want to do the same-old each season. But first I actually have to get out there.

So took Major out on the local trails, and he was forward, sound and very silly. Too much time off, too fit of a horse. So my optimism is slowly returning. Along with a huge late season rain storm for the weekend.

I'm trying to get the alfalfa in here!

Sigh. So today instead of riding between rain storms on muddy trails I cleaned his pasture, and locked Major out so he wouldn't try to tip over play with the manure cart. Waylaid again.

10 comments:

  1. Well, at least you are younger than I - a lot more time maybe to decide...
    It's been 9 years for me since I've done an LD...I used to love to ride by myself...now I'm always afraid...blah! when Persee comes back maybe we can ask to go for a ride with Major.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to go out with you and Persee. I do love riding by myself, exploring, it's the competition part I hate!

      Delete
  2. Which cancelled ride were you going to? We were going to do the VET ride, which was cancelled, but I know Whiskeytown was also cancelled. I would really like the rain to just STOP it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whiskeytown, I love a ride that is mostly singletrack. The trails were drying nicely... until this last 4+ inches of rain, arghh!

      Delete
  3. Funny, I was doing the ride that was cancelled for the same reasons - not the same old same old. I got to see some of those trails 2 weeks out and they are GORGEOUS. Can't wait to go back. It sure is a long ways for a day trip though.

    Hope that is everything is well with Major. Nothing like a few off steps to shake your confidence :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, wish I could ride those trails! Everything is gorgeous right now. Yeah, a bit shaken is exactly right. Fragile and strong, horses are quite the juxtaposition.

      Delete
  4. Singletrack is my safety zone. I love Major's ears, and his face is so expressive, a baby face. Do you remember where you got your bridle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Single track is more manageable, plus prettier! I love my bridle. It's from Distance Depot. A no-brow halter-bridle, I had them customize some things, including the rein length/color placement. Good, sturdy product.

      Delete
  5. Ugh hope Major recovers fully from whatever is going on. It'll be awhile before my mare and I compete (mostly because I need/should practice driving a trailer first) but I am also plagued with a lot of the "am I going to break my horse" questions. The three-week mark is a good barometer to go by, I might have to adopt that for myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but the trailer is so great! Took me awhile, now I barely think about it (though I still hate backing up!).

      I like three weeks because I don't think I can add much performance-wise a couple weeks before, so fitness should be optimimum. But Major has a very strong base fitness level. Just bring your girl back slowly, you'll get there...

      Delete