Tuesday, July 27, 2010

one year ago today

I bought Major one year ago today. I had tried him out at his home, on the trail and my trainer had tried him (and said if I didn't buy him she would!). His owner drove him to the vet check, where he did great, and delivered him to my barn. She checked out the facility, and cried when she left, but I think it has been a good partnership.

Conformation photo, July 2010
They say you get the horse you need, not the horse you want. A recent blogger said it more beautifully, but of course I can't find that reference. Major isn't the 11 to 13-year-old experienced well-trained horse I wanted, but we've been good for each other, both of us learning a lot in the process. Sometimes it seems like more than a year, but most times I feel like we've just begun.

Today he'll get an extra carrot and a good scratch on his favorite itchy places. I'm glad you're my horse Major. I hope I'm a good human.

No comments:

Post a Comment