Tuesday, April 22, 2014

dance of joy and a cleaning frenzy

Yeah! It looks like Major popped a big abscess out his right heel bulb! All weekend I soaked in Epsom salts, wrapped in Ichthammol (man is that stuff gross, but recommended by vet and barn owner) and put a loose boot (borrowed Back County glove). Now Major has a lovely big gash that isn't bothering him much, but is certainly in a bad spot. I'm just letting it heal, leaving it mostly alone, but haven't trotted him out because I don't want the wound all filled with sand from the round pen or arena. But I'm thinking the worst is over! Dance of joy! (I am probably the only person who remembers this dance of joy. Hey, I was young, it made an impression!)

This weekend I was epically stir crazy. Yes I visited the horse multiple times a day, but I was ready to DO stuff, not watch my horse rest. So what did I do?


copyright Allie Brosh, Hyperbole and a Half

Clean all the things! (art from Hyperbole and a Half. One of the best pages that exists on the internet)

OK, not all the things. I didn't actually clean the house, just the horse stuff. Really people, priorities!

left before, right after (I did cheat and put the hale bale bag in the back)

How many hoof picks can you find in the before photo? (Evidently you need six hoof picks per trailer, including one with no brush left!).  How many rolls of vet wrap out of place? (Three, returned to the vet box.) How many feet of random length hay strings? (Uncountable, all tossed except two nice bundles). How many caribiners? (There are never too many! I use them for everything.)


Why do I keep the metal curry that Major hates? And the two curries that I hate? No idea. Did manage to take them out of the trailer and added to the pile of unused crap in the garage. I did find a new Shed Flower, which is my favorite curry ever.

inside, two pictures, now neatly organized chaos!

Trailer tack room is still very full, but organized. It'll least until I go to a big ride, then all hell breaks loose. But for now, glorious!

Sparkly! Taking the mats out is an awful (but necessary) evil

needs more orange accents. Racing stripe?

I hadn't washed the inside of the trailer in at least a year. I even took out the crazy heavy floor mats. It is now cleaner than my house. I could live in here.

I also managed to re-dye my chaps. They were sad and old and stretched out, but I was hoping to squeeze another season out of them (why did Ariat have to discontinue my favorite style? Still looking for a good replacement. Anyone?). It was messy, and I managed to end up with very gray hands, fingerprints on walls, but super black chaps. There are no photos of me wearing them around to re-shape them, (in shorts and long socks, NOT a good look). Take my word for it, they are nicely black and the dye is finally coming out from under my fingernails...

all sad and worn out

mistakes were made...

Sometimes I find joy in the little things like a clean trailer and better chaps. And sometimes my horse is better and it's not such a little thing.

19 comments:

  1. Yay for it being an abscess! Of all the lameness options out there, that's one of the best ones...

    I completely agree with you on the Ariat Terrain half chaps. They just released a "Terrain II" chap, but I don't like them...still not close enough to the original. Unfortunately I missed the boat on getting the originals, and I wear a hard-to-find sizes that pretty much eliminates the chance of finding them either used or back stock. Ah, well. I've still yet to find a pair of half chaps I truly love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why discontinue such a great product? I also can't quite find anything else similar enough and the correct size. Sorry you're in the same boat!

      Delete
  2. Yeah! !!!! That is such good news. And I love hyperbole and a half. Now you r making me feel guilty about my trailer. Maybe a cleaning is in order before picking up merry sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trailer is so clean I don't want to put the horse in there! But Merry needs a nice ride, I'm so excited for you!

      Delete
  3. Woooo, so happy for yall! And ugh, every time I open the tack room door, a half-empty bale bag literally falls out. Really, really overdue for another big cleaning. Hopefully you'll inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad it was just an abscess!! YAAAY! And very nice job on the trailer organization!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me spit orange juice out of my nose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! So glad to hear it and wishing Major super soundness soon!

    LOVE all that cleaning and organizing. I totally spazz out and clean stuff, too!

    A racing stripe would be fabulous :)

    No idea why they discontinued the Ariat Terrain half chap, if that is what you are referring to..they were certainly my favorite. I do like my JustChaps from The Distance Depot...they are lasting pretty well so far and are very breathable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look at the JustChaps if mine don't hold up. Breathable is important as it gets hot!

      Delete
  7. So glad to hear the abcess blew out.. that is never fun and is so darn painful for them!! I love the cleaning frenzy results on the trailer.. ! On the hlaf chaps, Dublin makes a similar version to the Ariat with the mesh. I did not know they dc'd the Ariats!! I have a pair of the Dublins b because they were more in my budget at the time and so far they have lasted three seasons and are now only starting to look and feel a bit tattered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look at Dublins too, good to know some people like other options.

      Delete
  8. check out Dublins half chaps. I hav a pair and they are similar to the Ariats.. have held up well for me... So glad it was an abcess and that it's blown out!! those are so painful for the horse! Love the cleaning on the trailer.. my trailer is still in NEW condition and I hope it can stay that way for a while!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ariat brought back the Terrain half chaps!! Granted they have a stupid Spanish styled top but its still similar.

    Hey, how did you get those basket things in your tack room? Those look great for organizing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look into those chaps. The Spanish top might be too tall for my short, "sturdy" legs!

      The trailer baskets are awesome. They're just standard closet organizing baskets from Ikea. My trailer has support channels along the wall, and the baskets are hung with a large washer in the channel, washer on the outside of the basket, and a bolt and nut. So they're movable and not screwed in. I'll try to get some photos.

      If you didn't have channels, you could do a similar thing with just some 2x2 wood, the height of your trailer, screw those in, then use them to support baskets.

      Delete
  10. I LOVE all of the orange accents within and outside of the trailer. And all that organization is so pleasing to the eye when its all said and done!

    What kind of trailer is yours? I like its components and am starting to price some of my own. Make, model?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My trailer is an oldie but a goodie! It's a 1995 Featherlite, It is seriously solid. The newer Featherlites I wasn't as impressed by. 2 horse straightload, extra tall and wide, dressing room, saddle racks under the mangers inside, that's about it. I prefer simple, no ramp, no fancy moving parts. I put on 2 high-ties, organized the inside, cleaned it up, that's about it.

      When I bought it I searched high and low. I had a set price ($5000) and drove a few hours to drive it home with a borrowed truck (didn't even have my monster truck yet). I've been really happy with it. Many friends got much bigger trailers, and while they're nice, you have to fit into some small parking spaces at rides!

      If you haven't read the book about buying a horse trailer, I'd recommend it, as there are always things you compromise on (I'd rather no mangers but most straight loads with dressing rooms have them).
      http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Maintaining-Servicing-Trailer-reference/dp/0876056869

      Delete
  11. Oooh thanks for the book reference! I've added it to my wishlist on Amazon. =)

    And I echo the smaller trailer thing! When my BO was shopping for her trailer a few years ago, that was her main shopping point: something small enough to fit in the backcountry places we like to go. I thought that was a great point.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Try these chaps from Ovation: http://www.ovationriding.com/half-chaps/ovation-ladies-elite-amara-ribbed-half-chap-464331
    I have been alternating between a black pair and a brown pair and they're now in their fifth season! Easy to wash & dry and inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete