Wednesday, July 6, 2011

brain freeze

The last few days have been exceedingly hot. And busy, so I haven't had a lot of time to spend with Major. Like any bad parent, last night I decided to bribe him to keep him happy. I made him a giant horse popsicle! I took a couple apples and some slightly-old baby carrots, put them in a bundt pan, added water (with some salt for good measure) and froze the whole thing.

At first he wasn't sure of this new thing. It was strange, but smelled like apples and carrots? The first couple of tastes were hilarious! I couldn't get a photo of it, but if a horse could get brain freeze, Major had it! He took a couple licks/bites, then raised his head quite high and funny. But it didn't dissuade him, and as I left he was happily licking away.

I have one other popsicle in the freezer. I've even thought of some other ways of creating this (like a layer cake effect). I think it is cool, tasty, adds needed salt and keeps them entertained for awhile. A perfect summer treat.

2 comments:

  1. That is a very cool idea! I like to treat my horses to things but not too extreme..like I won't be baking my horses cookies but I could sure freeze them some tasty snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Major loves the icey treat. But I do admit to making him cookies. I know they don't have any bad stuff in them, and I add electrolytes or salt, so I somehow justify making the whole house smell like the feed room.

    ReplyDelete